Workshop of the GLDV Working Group on Hypermedia
Date: October 1st, 2009, 13:30-17:00h
Location: University of Potsdam/Germany
Registration: Please register for the main conference.
The workshop is organized as part of this year’s Conference of the German Society for Computational Linguistics and Language Technology (GSCL), hosted by the Applied Computational Linguistics group in the Department of Linguistics at Potsdam University. The GLDV Working Group on Hypermedia is offering a one-day workshop dedicated to usability aspects for hypermedia systems and applications in the E-Humanities (corpus retrieval frontends, web information systems, community grids etc.).
Suggested topics include but are not limited to:
- Web design and usability in the E-Humanities: Context, productivity/performance, and acceptance
- (Multimodal) reception research: Methods and test procedures
- Visualization, navigation, and orientation in complex information systems
- Interactive and collaborative aspects of hypermedia systems
- Standards and guidelines on software ergonomics, user-oriented design, and accessibility
Since Jakob Nielsen pointed out the main criteria for user-friendly hypermedia systems – Easy to learn, efficient to use, easy to remember, few errors, pleasant to use – in the mid-nineties, usability research is engaged in the statistical investigation and empiric validation of ranking methods. One goal is the improvement of usability on the internet, currently focusing on up-to-date topics like Web 2.0 and multimodal interfaces.
The goal of this workshop is to create a forum for researchers and practitioners interested in hypermedia systems in the context of natural language processing. By offering paper presentations (30 min.) and discussion panels , we hope to stimulate and facilitate an active exchange on unique and interdisciplinary ideas, practices, and methods.
The workshop features English or German paper presentations and extended demos. Authors are invited to send abstracts which may not exceed two pages of text. All submissions will be peer-reviewed (please place author’s name and affiliation on a separate page for anonymous review). The final papers are limited to 12 pages, including figures and literature. They will appear in a special issue of “SDV – Sprache und Datenverarbeitung/International Journal for Language Data Processing”.
- Submission of abstracts: June 30th, 2009
- Notification of acceptance: July 31st, 2009
- Final paper submission: September 4th, 2009
- Workshop Homepage: http://hypermedia.ids-mannheim.de/gscl-ak/workshop09en.html
- GSCL Working Group on Hypermedia: http://hypermedia.ids-mannheim.de/gscl-ak/
- Main Conference Homepage: http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/acl-lab/gscl09/
- Dorothea Kugelmeier, Fraunhofer FIT.ICON Usability Lab
- Dr. Hans-Christian Schmitz, Fraunhofer FIT.ICON Usability Lab
- Dr. Roman Schneider, IDS Mannheim
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Schröder, Universität Duisburg-Essen
- Prof. Dr. Angelika Storrer, Universität Dortmund
- Dr. Heinz J. Weber, Universität Trier
- Dr. Hans-Christian Schmitz, Fraunhofer FIT.ICON (email@example.com)
- Dr. Roman Schneider, Institut für Deutsche Sprache (IDS) Mannheim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prof. Dr. Bernhard Schröder, Universität Duisburg-Essen (email@example.com)