The Training School is organized under the auspices of COST-IC0904 TwinTide, an international European project researching on design and evaluation of interactive systems.
The overarching goal of DEVISE’11 is to improve participants’ theoretical and practical understanding of emergent design and evaluation (D&E) methods, techniques and tools being employed in different IT-enhanced sectors by teasing out their differences and commonalities. Reviews of case studies and hands-on exercises will be employed as instruments to realize this goal. It aims to enlighten young HCI researchers and practitioners through in-depth discussions with their experienced counterparts, enabling them to develop a holistic view of the field of HCI.
Participants are expected to:
- get to know specializations of certain application domains, certain sector-unique D&E methodologies and their characteristics, and learn to generalize and specialize across domains and sectors;
- gain knowledge and practical experience in designing and evaluating a range of innovative interactive systems with multiple methods and from multiple disciplinary perspectives;
- learn how evaluation studies are devised and executed with respect to domain-specific as well as other contextual resources and constraints;
- explore the relationships between qualitative and quantitative approaches and their synergy in different application contexts;
- investigate how HCI theories can inform the design and evaluation work in practice and vice-versa.
PhD students in HCI, who have a reasonable level of knowledge in general design and evaluation methodologies and are at the first or second year of their doctoral studies, are eligible to apply for the Training School.
Deadline for Application Submission is Thursday, 8th September 2011.
For programme, application details and further information, please consult the official website of the DEVISE II.